Monday, January 17, 2011

Skinny actresses on ELLE magazine covers

I've been doing some digital publishing research for school, and I came across some troubling magazine covers from ELLE magazine.


Are these actresses actually this thin? Or were they photoshopped to look like this? Either way, I find this very disturbing. I used to read ELLE in high school and university, and these are three consecutive months of unrealistic body images. I can't imagine being confronted with these cover models (ahem, actresses...) when I was a teenager. Even now, with more healthy body-image campaigns out there and having more acceptance of my own body, I have a hard time looking at these. 

And if anyone is tempted to tell me that I shouldn't be condemning people for being thin, that's not at all my angle. There are plenty of naturally thin, naturally petite women out there..but I dare anyone to call these three women natural looking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by!