Tuesday, October 27, 2009

I'm like, totally professional

For a class we have to choose a magazine to completely redesign. I'm not sure that I'd like to do one of the magazines that I currently read, because I like them...that's why I read them. I enjoy the layout, the content, the photography... There are some things that I would change, but in general, they're pretty good.

But here comes the dilemma...I have an idea for a different type of magazine that I would like to redesign. Not a magazine that I read, not a magazine that I would read were it better designed. Just a really atrocious magazine. It is called.....Tiger Beat! I used to buy Tiger Beat back in the day when the walls in my room were plastered with JTT posters and staying up until 9:00pm meant we had a cool babysitter. But the problem is this: I think these magazines look like shit and are a disrespect to the teeny boppers that read them. Just because the content is trash, doesn't mean that the magazine should look like trash. HOWEVER, I don't know if my design teacher will take me seriously if I hand in a project with the cast of Twilight on the cover.

Tomorrow I'm going to scan the shelves in the neighbourhood 7-11 in search of a respectable magazine in need of a facelift. And if I can't find one...then I need to find the perfect font to encapsulate just how totally HOT Miley Cyrus's fold-out poster is.

3 comments:

  1. Ha! Tiger Beat is awful. I think you should do it. Kids are consumers too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree... If the assignment was ANY magazine, then you've got an arguing point. And I think it might be tougher than expected.

    My suggestion would be Hunting & Fishing or some outdoor magazine. They're always so plain with SO many looooooong articles. Spruce that up a bit!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback! I'm going to head to the store pretty soon to see what I can find.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by!