Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

I knew I had been listening to American Idol performances for too long when I began thinking to myself, "gee, this prepubescent guy is doing a pretty sweet cover of the Beatles." And then I opened iTunes, listened to the original and remembered what music is supposed to sound like. However, after a long day at school, something to zone out to was definitely on the menu. American Idol requires little thinking, and only that little aggressive part of my brain that likes to judge and pretend I know everything about music needs to be alert. "Hmm...it was OK, but too pitchy. And I don't know if I really believed that performance. They didn't sell it with the high notes."

I'm too impatient for all of the judges' comments and the commercials and the useless banter, so I watched about 10 performances on the American Idol website in the same time it would take me watch one bloated commercial break. Overall, not impressed. One girl, Crystal Bowersox, is fantastic- she's natural, she plays the guitar, she doesn't give these awkward, affected performances like the other chumps on the show, and she used a didgeridoo in one of her songs. Overall though, the entire show could use more cowbell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by!