Thursday, April 1, 2010

This post is brought to you by...

We watched our first episode of Modern Family last night. It was funny, but I don't know how I feel about a show that dedicates an entire episode to product placement. The plot revolved around the iPad- it was the Dad's birthday and the family was desperately seeking out an iPad on its release day. There were quotes galore gushing over the iPad, but I can only remember a few...

-said adoringly while cradling the iPad in his hands: "who's ready for the first day of the rest of their life?"
-"it's a movie theatre, a bookstore AND a music store ALL IN ONE!!"
-blowing out candles on the virtual iPad cake...."it did not just DO THAT!!" .... "But it DID!!"

I know it's naive to complain about product placement, but this was beyond excessive. I'm certain that the writer's didn't originate this iPad-episode concept. It's kind of a chicken and egg question- what came first, the money from Apple or the iPad idea from the writers? I'm going to say the money from Apple...then the writers worked with that they were given. I wonder if this is something we should get used to? Product placement so heavy that entire episodes are based on them. Maybe the Lost survivors on the Island will find a bag of Doritos and spend the whole episode on it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by!