Wednesday, February 24, 2010

What we've been missing

While driving our new car for the first time this afternoon, I got the same feeling as when I first got glasses. Looking through the panoramic, crystal clear windshield, I thought to myself, "holy shit, this is what the world is really supposed to look like!" At last, we're no longer constrained by bus schedules. The next time we go to the grocery store, we don't have to consider how much we can carry without breaking our fingers off. Welcome back into my life, 4 litre jugs of milk! I don't have to resent squash anymore for being so delicious, but so heavy.

I'll be the first to admit that all these years I've taken for granted the freedom of having our own vehicle. You don't know what you've got 'til its gone has to be one of the most poignantly observant cliches that I don't mind using. It goes across the board for everything - for example, I've been going 2 weeks with some dietary restrictions, and I don't think I'll ever appreciate the taste, texture, and sweet loving that cheese has to give until I eat it again on Monday when this madness is over. You can really tell how dearly I miss it because I started off talking about our car and somehow directed this post towards obsessing over succulent, oozy cheese. I saw a funny "tweet" the other day, where someone asked, "what if cheese couldn't melt?" I wouldn't want to live in a world like that. A world without pizza is a world to be forsaken.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by!