Tuesday, July 14, 2009

My Birthday Weekend

This weekend was a whirlwind of activity - starting with cleaning the apartment on Friday night. That's right, we spent a luxurious Friday evening on our hands and knees scrubbing the bathroom, wiping down every surface in the living room, scrubbing pots and pans in the kitchen, and generally taking care of business with a bit of elbow grease elsewhere in the apartment. Luc moved furniture while I took command of our brutish vacuum cleaner. I don't mind the act of vacuuming, it's the physical strain of dragging this beast out of the clutter in our hallway closet that's made me say things like, "you know, the dust on the hardwood doesn't even look that bad, it gives it this, antiquey look. And the rugs...they just look, more lived in." But in the end, I'm way too much of a neat-freak to support the existence of dust bunnies.

Saturday afternoon was spent traipsing up and down Granville Street with a couple girlfriends in the fierce summer heat. We found refuge on the Joey's patio for lunch, where my steak somehow arrived as a salmon fillet. I think that was actually the first time someone had completely messed up my order by ringing in the wrong item. My lunch was free, so I'm not really complaining, and it was kind of funny to watch the server squirm under the pressure from her own negligence....but I ended up just eating the salmon and now I'm still craving a big steak for lunch. I might pull one of those princess moves and say something to Luc like, "you have to take me out for a steak lunch because it's my birthday week." It was my 25th birthday on Sunday, but who says it can't last all week? I SAY IT CAN'T! No, I will not be that girl. From the title of this post, you can see that it was already a weekend rather than a day...I've had enough festivities - we had some friends over Saturday night (hence, the feverish Friday cleaning) to celebrate, and we also had a birthday dinner with my family on Sunday night.

The Sunday dinner turned out to be a surprise engagement party! We were showered with bottles of booze (they didn't actually pour it on us, but rather gave it to us in nice little wine bags) and we got a chance to see everyone since our trip to Penticton. The evening was great - one of the highlights was when my cousin's 2 and 1/2 year old daughter helped me blow out the candles on my birthday cake and then I got to help her eat some chocolate engagement cake. Yes, you read that correctly...two things to celebrate = two delicious cakes! (Actually, it's 3 because on Saturday night Luc got me a wonderful chocolate mousse cake!) It really meant a lot to me that everyone came out to celebrate with us. I stand by what I said in my other post; family is more important than anything, and I'm very lucky to be surrounded by such supportive, loving and generous people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by!